Thursday, October 23, 2014

New work, new focus

JavaFX Mobile
JavaFX Mobile (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
23-October-2014


For about 5 months now, I have taken on a new job, and my focus now is more on engineering. Still, my experience as an IT practitioner is recognized, and capitalized on, from time to time.

Before I forget PROMIS, and the things that I did for the past 18 years or so, I would be documenting what I practiced, so I will have something to go back to.

Forget? Maybe not.

But it is actually the problem of forgetting the small, small things, not the major things, that causes the problem, especially as the years go by.

And, I am advancing in the years, and still learning a lot of new things: AutoCAD, Java SE 7 and 8, ASP.NET MVC, Entity Framework, C# in depth, and JavaFX. I may pick up F# soon.

Thanks to PROMIS, I learned a lot. I was forced to learn SQL, VB.NET, C#.NET and ASP.NET. So I picked up CSS and HTML in the process, and also XML. I made it good, simply because there was opportunity to learn and practice what I learned.

And what I am learning big in my new job is 'to get disturbed.'

I had to learn to stop and answer questions, or do other things, and resume what I was previously doing - seamlessly. This is one thing that I hated, and kept myself from until now.

It is, however, already a requirement of my new job, so again, given the opportunity and guidance to learn and practice this work method - I would make good at it.

New venture, and very exciting!

Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment